The later history of the Kensingtons is closely bound up in their Territorial Army Centre (TAC). When this building was opened in 1938 it was possibly the most modern and best-
Vehicle access was initially via a narrow entrance onto Hammersmith Road although in later years a new, slightly wider access was created onto Rowan Road. However this still involved two ninety-
On 2 December 1980 the TAC was badly damaged by two explosive devices planted at the front and rear of the building. Caretaker Robert Glazier subsequently received the Commander-
On 21 October 1992 the TAC was again the target for a terrorist attack from a bomb.. Normal TA evening training was taking place and three soldiers were injured; the Chief Clerk was detained in hospital, and two female soldiers were released after treatment for cuts caused by flying glass. The bomb was one of three planted that evening (the other two were against London railway targets), bringing the total to 13 for that two-
The Territorial Army went through a long period of re-
The TAC was built in 1938/1939 as a company headquarters of the Queen's Royal Regiment (West Surrey).
For the next thirty years this TAC had a chequered history. Full details can be found in Maj Paul Whittle's History of 31st (City of London) Signal Regiment (Volunteers) published in 2002
In June 1987 all the remaining elements of 41 (PLK) Signal Sqn were finally concentrated at Coulsdon.
In 1990 a major refurbishment of the building included a new roof, and new toilets, kitchen and electrics. In 1994 an external facelift included a security fence and a new garage block. Later that year the official reopening was performed by Colonel D J McLelland CBE TD DL, Deputy Lieutenant for the London Borough of Croydon. At the rear of the TAC a memorial tree, planted in November 1994, commemorates six former members of the Squadron.
|1859 - 1908|
|1920 - 1939|
|1947 -19 67|